Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Path to Agent pt 2

Okay, I know I haven't been keeping current with this blog.  I also know that the further along in my Real Estate career that I get the harder it will be to catch up and find the time to do this.  However, right now I'm still working 33 hours a week at Walmart and really during the 25-30 hours a week I work Real Estate writing a blog is pretty low down on my list of priorities. Should I follow up on that lead and try to get a listing?  Oohooorr...should I write another blog?  I don't know about other people, but the answer is pretty obvious to me. [The funny thing is I'm writing this while an unanswered lead sits waiting on my Leadstreet page, but I thought that for 20 minutes I should at least write something so my blog doesn't go stale.]

Okay, where was I; oh right I just got an e-mail informing me that Decade 12 wouldn't be sponsoring me after all.  It really wasn't as bad as it sounds though.  The broker was really nice about it, and he actually referred me to the local Remax office, and gave me a good reference as well. I've also kept in contact with him and he has become a valuable networking connection.  Don't burn bridges!!! 

So anyway, I cold called the local Remax office and simply said, "Hi, I would like to work for you."

"You're Hired!!!"

Yeah...Right.  Not that easy.  Pretty close though.  With the Decade 12 broker's recommendation it didn't take much to convince Remax to give me a shot.  [A little side note:  I'm just that awesome.  Or maybe it's because Agents work as independent contractors and not employees, and for brokers the more agents they have the more money coming into the office.]  However, I wasn't even licensed at this point.  Hell, I hadn't even taken the required 40 hour Pre-Licensing Class.  So, the Remax broker and I decided I'd get in touch after the class.

I went down to Grand Rapids (287 miles) where a really good friend of mine now lives (the closest class was still 80 miles away and to commute that for 5 straight days was just not practical.  Besides it gave me an excuse to see friends I hadn't seen in 3 or 4 years)  and I shacked up with my buddy, caught up on things, and straight up ACED my class!! Not joking here either, I made that class my B*#@%.  I've always been good at school.  I won't get into detail about the class or anything, no point.

I do have to stop here and go chase that lead now.  I would really like to take this opportunity to give a shout out of massive thanks to my friend who put up with me living with him for a week.  He owns and operates a tattoo parlor and piercing studio on Leonard St. named: The Tattoo Parlor and Piercing Studio: A family Owned Business he's a fan of generic names.  If he owned a business that fixed cars he's name it, Auto Shop.  Anyway if you are ever in Grand Rapids, MI and feel like getting inked up or pierced check this place out, and tell them Scott Kirkpatrick sent you.


The Tattoo Parlor and Piercing Studio
"A Family Owned Business"
526 Leonard St. N.W.
Grand Rapids, MI
(616) 454-8288
Facebook.com/TPPS526

                                        


No comments:

Post a Comment